Northern Songs Series 2 returns on May 13th 2021 and every Thursday at 8pm for eight weeks. This series showcases Northern Ireland’s beautiful landscapes and landmarks with songs written and performed by composers and singers from the island of Ireland.
Watch the films as they release via the links below.
Watch tenor Andrew Irwin, soprano Susie Gibbons, mezzo Margaret Bridge, tenor John Porter and bass baritone David Howes perform an arrangement of ‘Sunrise’ by Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy:
Watch mezzo soprano Margaret Bridge, tenor John Porter, cellist Neil Martin perform Neil Martin’s arrangement of ‘Méilte Cheann Dubhrann’ here:
Watch tenor Andrew Irwin perform ‘The Bard of Armagh’ by Herbert Hughes here:
Watch soprano Susie Gibbons perform ‘The Lark in the Clear Air’ by Sir Samuel Ferguson here:
Watch tenor John Porter perform ‘The Gentle Maiden’ by Sir Harold Boulton here:
Watch mezzo soprano Margaret Bridge performing ‘Oft In The Stilly Night’ by Thomas Moore at the Beaghmore Stone Circles and the OM Dark Sky Park in County Tyrone here from 8pm on 27th May.
Watch tenor Andrew Irwin performing ‘Then You’ll Remember Me’ from The Bohemian Girl by Michael William Balfe at Marble Arch Caves in County Fermanagh, his home county.
Watch soprano Catherine Donnelly and mezzo Margaret Bridge perform ‘A River Runs Beneath Us’ by Duke Special and Andrew Doyle at the Maritime Mile and Titanic Quarter in Belfast.
This season’s opera singers are all either winners or finalists at our Glenarm Festival of Voice and we’ll again be visiting stunning locations and landmarks for this season. All songs are accompanied by pianist Ruth McGinley.
Filmed by Causeway Pictures around Northern Ireland but with a particular focus for this series on counties Fermanagh, Armagh and Tyrone, this series will feature eight films and a behind-the-scenes project too supported by Tourism Ireland which will be available later in the spring/summer.
- May 13th, ‘A River Runs Beneath’ by Duke Special and Andrew Doyle, filmed on the Maritime Mile and Titanic Slipways, Belfast
- May 20th ‘Then You’ll Remember Me’ by Michael William Balfe filmed in Marble Arch Caves, Co Fermanagh
- May 27th ‘Oft In The Stilly Night’ by Thomas Moore, filmed at the OM Dark Sky Park and Beaghmore Stone Circles, Co Tyrone
- June 3rd ‘The Gentle Maiden’ by Sir Harold Boulton filmed at the Ulster American Folk Park, Co Tyrone
- June 10th ‘The Lark in the Clear Air’ by Sir Samuel Ferguson filmed at the Armagh Cider Company, Co Armagh
- June 17th ‘The Bard of Armagh’ by Herbert Hughes filmed at the Armagh Robinson Library, Co Armagh
- June 24th ‘Méilte Cheann Dubhrann’ arranged by Neil Martin filmed at Ballintoy Harbour, Co Antrim
- July 1st ‘Sunrise’ by Neil Hannon, filmed at Enniskillen Castle, Co Fermanagh
Northern Songs Series 2
Celebrating the landscapes and landmarks of Northern Ireland through song