Northern Ireland Opera returns in 2023 with Puccini’s ‘Tosca’, after our critically acclaimed and sold-out production of ‘La Traviata’ in 2022.
‘Tosca’ is an operatic thriller set in Rome, taking place over one day, making it one of the most intense and exciting operas ever written.
Floria Tosca is a beautiful soprano, deeply in love with painter Mario Cavaradossi. When the corrupt Chief of Police, Baron Scarpia, discovers that Mario has been helping political prisoners escape, he sees a way of forcing Tosca into the ultimate sacrifice to satisfy his lust. Scarpia will entrap her and try to get rid of her lover… who will survive?
Directed and conceptualised by Cameron Menzies, performed with the Ulster Orchestra and the NI Opera Chorus.
Reviews for our 2022 production of ‘La Traviata’.
- The Observer: ‘***** ‘NI Opera’s excellent new Verdi production went straight to the heart’
- The Observer – ‘La Traviata’ selected as number 2 in the UK top ten operas and concerts of the year.
- Opera Magazine: ‘Northern Ireland Opera’s La traviata suggests that the artistic director Cameron Menzies has at long last realised the region’s ambition to have a grand opera company truly deserving of the name.’
- Bachtrack: ‘Brilliant leads make for a moving Traviata at Northern Ireland Opera’
- The Stage: **** ‘Joyous’
- The Irish News: ‘NI Opera’s dazzling production, full of emotion and relevance’